Friday, May 29, 2009

Verre de Mer?

I'm trying this morning to put together an application to sell my work in sea glass at a festival in Pennsylvania this fall. The application is due Monday, or I would not have added this task into my crazy busy week. To say nothing of adding the extra expense.

I don't do elaborate things with sea glass. I think each piece needs to be viewed/ held/ experienced as singular and fascinating. It's supposed to take 30+ years of tumbling in the water to produce a smooth, frosted piece of glass. I respect that passage of time. I doubt that anyone else selling at the festival shares my frame of mind, and I'm already feeling defensive!

I had to apply also for a PA Enterprise Registration, and on the spur of the moment I elected to use as my business name "Verre de Mer," which I thought I made up. It means 'glass of the sea' and it's pronouced |vair duh mair|. I only thought to check this morning, two days after the Ent Reg app, and I see that there's already a Verre de Mer on the West Coast. Honestly, I didn't even think it was a "real" phrase. It's supposed to be 'verre de la mer' in true, grammatical French.

No comments:

Post a Comment