Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back in the Day

I'm reading a bio of singer Sam Cooke and a vivid autiobiography by Peter C. Cavanaugh (WTAC DJ, Flint), plus we're watching Mad Men, a DVD package provided by my sister. All of these transport me to a certain era that I was too young (Cooke and Mad Men, anyway) to appreciate.

Two of the three references above are to music, of course, the music of my youth. Still, it took until Alanis Morrissette (sp?) and You Oughta Know that an emotion expressed was absolutely right on the money, in matching my psyche (even if, thankfully, the emotion was quite transient for me). I laughed out loud the first time I heard that song.

Did you ever hear Sting talking about the Police's Every Breath You Take? He says that the song's about a stalker. I was disappointed to hear that — I had always understood it to be about a fleeting feeling, of the type that you resist acting upon.

Anyway, my reading material this time is happier than last year's (Katrina and post-Katrina New Orleans, in recovery). But I did pick up two books on slavery and how slavery contributed to the way of life of African-American port and shore workers, ca. the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment