Sunday, October 16, 2011

Elizabeth (Betty) Margaret Lanigan Swart, 10/26/1930 - 10/10/2011






I still can't quite believe it: my mother has died, she has been cremated, we have held a wake (yesterday) and a funeral (today), and Victor and I are taking her ashes to the Outer Banks for dispersal next weekend.

She wasn't a perfect mother, but she was the only one I knew. I have been crying all week -- at some moments feeling guilty, and at others feeling relief. Her life had become so constricted.

I was stranded due to a fault in a plane in New Jersey (returning from the sea glass festival) when the hospital told us all to get there ASAP. Fortunately, she held on a bit. I had about 5 hours with her, though she was not conscious and had not been all day. At the end we watched the color recede from her face...I was not prepared for that.





No comments:

Post a Comment