Sunday, October 23, 2011

Catching up



I am posting from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, but I am running month-old pictures of Gloucester at the moment. They have been waiting, in the pipeline, while life swept me along.

On a rainy day at the end of September, I photographed our indoor African violets. They are about 20 years old -- or at least the original one is. The other two were split off from the original over time, who knows when.

Vic remembers them as being from the publishing company H. W. Wilson in the early 1990s, when I worked there. However, I remember them as being a gift from Nancy and Steve, who led the buddy program at the AIDS Action Committee until shortly before Nancy's death from liver cancer (in, if I recall correctly, 1995). Nancy Silverman was her name, and she was a remarkable woman -- foster mother to dozens of children, and lost to us far too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment