Friday, February 27, 2009

Lilies

My husband bought me pink lilies on Valentine's Day, and they are still going strong. I bought myself a rose-and-lily bouquet for Oscar night, and the penultimate bud opened today.

I love the smell, and I love the suggestion of spring. Today was in the 50s, and I love =that= suggestion of spring, too!

When I worked at the Harvard School of Public Health, a student walked by my desk, where a bunch of lilies were on display. "How lewd," she said.

For the record, I don't see lilies as lewd (except maybe the huge, all-white ones, with their intense fragrance and their accumulated balls of liquid at the ends of their stamens). Lilies strike me as perfect: perfect as flower, perfect as aroma, perfect as symbol. Spring is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment