Monday, May 21, 2012

My broken foot

Exactly two weeks ago, I received word that I had a stress fracture. Well, what I should say is: I have had a stress fracture for about a year. You may remember that, in maybe December? I said that something like that was wrong with my foot, after a nuclear medicine scan "lit up" one region...but then my condition was re-assessed. My primary care guy said "fracture," but I was told by both a podiatrist and an orthopedic doctor that I had plantar fasciitis. I said repeatedly that the pain I had was across the top of my foot. I was told that pain across the top of the foot is common in plantar fasciitis, which is a problem with a tendon on the bottom of the foot. Both docs proceeded to treat my tendon. Maybe I had plantar fasciitis as well, who knows? But my "tender foot" in England was because I had a completely untreated stress fracture (with vascular death because of how long it was untreated). I am told now that my right foot is to be completely non-weight-bearing--after I did two 5-mile hikes last month! What a difficult proposition when I work all week. I turn 50 this year, and I am heavy. Trying to be mobile on crutches means doing damage to my body: shoulders, abdomen, elbows, and opposite leg, knee, and foot. I anticipate a period of corrective physical therapy that extends over the summer. Urgh.

1 comment:

  1. It usually happens when I'm laying in my bed, one of my arches will hurt very bad, and at random times. I run in high school for the track and cross country teams, but i haven't experienced foot pain when I run. My arches are pretty high if that makes a difference..
    Look into my blog ... common feet problems

    ReplyDelete